Tuesday, March 8, 2016

#SOL16 Kind of Excited


I am new to my position as a middle school instructional coach and have enjoyed the school, students, and culture of my new school.  It has been such a rewarding experience.  

I was talking to my assistant principal about an idea I had that wasn't of interest in my previous district. I wanted to start One Book, One District.  She was all on board!  

We hashed out our mission and vision and some action steps, she shared it with district level personnel, and it looks like we are going to get moving on this!  

We are a K-8 District so I'm thinking we may have to do two books, one for the middle school and one for the elementary kids.  I'm guessing we will want the same theme.  Some book titles that stand out to me, but I'm afraid a majority of kids have read are Out of My Mind and Wonder.  

So, I guess I'm looking for ideas on book titles and activities.  What have you guys done that has worked? Thank you for reading! 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't personally done this, but I think it's a wonderful idea. Perhaps you want to consider a book aimed at upper elementary/intermediate but that will still engage your middle schoolers. All or parts of it could be read to the early primary grades.
    I've found great success when looking for more obscure, less well known books by respected authors. That is how I first found Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen and Tunes for Bears to Dance To by Robert Cormier (not that I would suggest each of those for this endeavor).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do a One Book, One Grade for our summer reading at our high school. What about Wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I like Wonder and love Out of My Mind. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I like Wonder and love Out of My Mind. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete