Monday, March 14, 2016

Why I Write



I have been reading quite a few blogs on writing and writing instruction.  I read Margaret Simon's blog about discovering the writer's life, Pernille Ripp's blog about helping students find their writing identity, and multiple blogs from Two Writing Teachers.  This really got me thinking about why we want our students to write, how I do not write nearly enough, and why I need to write more.

In Pernille's blog, she writes about how she was asked to be recorded speaking about her writing process for Wisconsin Writes.  There's a great video where she talks about this process.  I watched the video and started reflecting that I don't really have a process.  I suppose I do in the fact that I get everything out of my head when I write a blog post and hit the publish button.  I've never been much of a drafter or one who does multiple revisions.  After reading these blogs it really made me reflect that I really need a more defined writing process to help me grow as a writer.  My trigger finger tends to be really quick when it comes to clicking the publish button.  So this was reflection number one.

Pernille blog really inspired me to keep writing (hence this post!). She talks about how every writer is a writer! And every writer needs time and choice.  All great points to remember when working with young writers.

Another reason why I write and blog is to work my feelings out, sometimes my writing may not always be clear. For example, I watched a very powerful 20/20 episode about the Heroin epidemic in America and more specifically in New Hampshire. I wrote a blog post about it. What stood out to me was the person reporting mentioned that imprisoning addicts does not solve the problem. They shared two heartbreaking stories of families. I shared my thoughts and it helped me heal a little more.  I never think I'll be fully healed, I believe the grief will always be there and I just continually learn to accept a new normal.  I will never get over the premature loss of my brother.

I write for myself, and if I can help someone along the way with Kevin's story or a book review, or a new teaching tip then I am achieving what I set out to achieve.

6 comments:

  1. Why I Write is a great question piece....I think it is also a great student question...especially as a beginning and end piece...to see how writing instruction and community changes them throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slice of Life has encouraged me to look at my writing process. I have noticed some patterns. The reflection is great just figuring out who you are as a writer. Enjoyed your post. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    This is a great topic and you write about it in a wonderful way. Sorry for the loss of your brother. Thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,

    This is a great topic and you write about it in a wonderful way. Sorry for the loss of your brother. Thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great topic. I may tuck it away for one of my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Mary. I want to listen to Pernille's writing process. She has such great stuff on her site. I never have followed the exact process every time but I know I need to write more. Since I teach teachers a range of topics in ELAR, I am out of the habit of talking about my process and I never thought I would get here. I am so proud of you for having the revision aha moment. I think only reflection can get a person to believe in revision because if you don't believe in its power, you will not take the time and energy it takes. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete